Most parents start thinking about their child’s senior pictures around the time their junior year of high school starts. That’s about when you should start planning too!
There are many things to consider when it comes to senior pictures. The most important thing is to make sure you book your photographer early! Senior picture season is very busy, so if you wait too long you might not be able to get the date or time slot you want.
Senior pictures are an important milestone in every high schooler’s life. They’re a way to capture this moment in time before everything changes and they head off into adulthood. So when do you take them? Keep reading to learn more about the different options and what will work best for you.
When to Take Senior Photos:
This is the most common time to take senior photos. If you want your pictures in the yearbook, this is when you need to take them. Many photographers book up quickly during this time, so it’s best to schedule your session as soon as possible .
If you’re planning on applying to colleges with an Early Action or Early Decision deadline, most photography experts recommend taking your senior photos during the summer after a junior year or the early fall of senior year. That way, you’ll have plenty of time to use them for your applications.
- Get your pictures done as soon as possible! You won’t have to worry about them later in the year if you do your photographs early in the spring of your junior year! or, if you don’t want to do them earlier, you can wait until summer break or even the early fall of your senior year;
- Warm weather. This is also a great time to take photographs outdoors! The weather is starting to warm up and there are plenty of flowers blooming;
- A beautiful landscape with blue skies, delicate flowers, and lush vegetation! The warm weather comes, and now is the time to get your yard ready. Spring is when everything starts to flourish, with gorgeous fresh greenery and flowers! Everything is so green, which makes for great photographs! In Holland during Tulip Time, the tulips are in full bloom while trees flower profusely;
- You might not have as many clothes options if you take your photos too early in the spring. You might still be wearing winter clothes, which could limit your wardrobe choices for your photos;
- In the spring, there may be unexpected rain or storms;
The heat can be a bit much, especially if you’re doing an outdoor shoot. Make sure to drink plenty of water and take breaks in the shade if you need to. You might also want to consider doing your shoot earlier in the day or later in the evening when it’s not quite as hot.
- The weather is warm and you can wear lighter clothes;
- You have more time to do your photoshoot because there are no school activities;
- There are more daylight hours so you can do your photoshoot any time of day;
- It might be too hot for some people to be comfortable outside;
- There might be bugs or other insects that could ruin your photos;
Fall is a beautiful time of year, and many students want to take advantage of the stunning scenery for their senior photos. The leaves are changing color and the air is crisp, making for some gorgeous pictures.
One thing to keep in mind is that the days are getting shorter, so you’ll need to schedule your shoot accordingly. You might also want to bring a jacket or scarf along in case it gets cold.
- The leaves are changing color and the scenery is beautiful;
- You can wear jackets or scarves which can add variety to your photos;
- The days are shorter so you have less time for your photo shoot;
- It might be cold outside;
Just keep in mind that it might be cold, so dress accordingly. You might also want to bring along a thermos of hot cocoa or coffee to keep warm between takes.
- The snow can make for a beautiful backdrop;
- You can wear winter clothes which can add variety to your photos;
- It will likely be cold outside;
- There may not be as much daylight because the days are shorter;
Tips for Taking Senior Pictures At Home:
- The location. The location of your photos can say a lot about your personality. If you’re more laid back, consider taking them outdoors in a park or natural setting. If you’re more glam, maybe an urban setting would be better. Or if you have a hobby or activity that’s important to you, incorporating that into your photos is always fun;
- Timing. Once you’ve decided on a photographer and location, it’s time to start thinking about when you want to take your photos. The spring of your junior year or the fall of your senior year are usually the best times, as the weather is usually pretty good then. But it really depends on what type of photos you want and what will work best with your schedule;
- What to wear. This is probably the most important part! What you wear in your photos should reflect your personality and style. If you’re not sure what to wear, ask your photographer for some guidance. They usually have a lot of great ideas;
- Hair and makeup. Again, this is all about reflecting your personality. If you normally don’t wear much makeup, then don’t go overboard just for your photos. The same goes for hair. Just make sure you look like yourself;
Should You Hire a Professional Photographer to Take Senior Pictures?
You want to make sure you choose a photographer that you feel comfortable with and who will be able to capture the type of photos you want. Ask around for recommendations or look at online portfolios to get an idea of each photographer’s style.
Poses are where things can get a little bit awkward. But don’t worry, that’s why you have a photographer! They’ll help guide you into natural-looking poses that will flatter you and help you feel comfortable.
Why do you take senior pictures?
Senior pictures are a way to capture this moment in your life. It is a time when you are finishing high school and about to embark on your next adventure. Taking senior pictures is a tradition that has been around for many years.
Some people take them before they graduate so they can have the pictures to look back on, while others wait until after they walk across the stage to receive their diploma. No matter when you take them, senior pictures are a way to remember this milestone in your life.
What time of day is best for senior photos?
In the evening, the lighting is warm and flattering. In most cases, the illumination is quite bright and vibrant. Depending on the session’s location, you may be able to observe vivid colors from the setting sun sinking through trees as it gets low in the sky .
When should grad photos be taken?
Your graduation photos should be taken after you have received your diploma, but before you leave the stage. This way, you will be able to capture a photo of yourself in your cap and gown with your diploma in hand.
If you are taking photos at the ceremony, make sure to line up early so that you can get a good spot. Once the ceremony is over, quickly walk over to where the photographer is set up and smile for your picture!
Can you take your own senior pictures?
Yes, you can take your own senior pictures. However, it is important to keep in mind that professional photographers have a lot of experience taking photos. They know how to capture the perfect photo and make you look your best.
If you are planning on taking your own senior pictures, make sure to do your research beforehand. Find out what time of day will give you the best lighting and choose a location that is meaningful to you. Most importantly, have fun with it! These pictures are meant to represent this exciting time in your life.
Should I tip my photographer for senior pictures?
It is not necessary to tip your photographer, but it is always appreciated. If you are happy with the service that they have provided, a tip is a great way to show your appreciation.
Tipping is not required, but it is a nice gesture if you are happy with the service that you have received.
Keep in mind that photographers typically do not charge for senior pictures unless you purchase prints or digital copies from them. So, if you decide to tip your photographer, make sure to do so after you have received your photos.
Where should the sun be when taking photos?
When photographing a house, placing yourself in the sun’s path works best for landscape or action shots, but if you use it with portraits, keep in mind the following things. The technique of obscuring the sun behind your subject to make it stand out can be known as backlighting.
First, the backlit photo creates a natural vignette around the subject.
Second, if your exposure is not correct, the sun can become a giant hot spot in the photo and wash out all of the details of your subject.
For these reasons, when photographing people, it is generally better to place the sun to the side or behind you so that your subjects are not backlit .
Is 10 am a good time to take pictures?
The optimum time to shoot photographs of couples is in the early hours after sunrise and before sunset. Within that timeframe, it’s preferable to take pictures after the morning golden hour or before the evening “golden hour”.
For most people, the “golden hour” occurs between approximately eight in the morning and nine in the evening.
During these hours, the sun is lower in the sky (which casts a softer light) and creates a natural vignette around your subjects.
The shadows are also shorter during these hours, which can help to slim down your subjects and minimize blemishes or imperfections .
While there are some general guidelines to follow when taking senior pictures, ultimately it is up to you when you want to take them. Talk to your photographer about what time of day would work best for the type of photos that you want and pick a date that works for both of you.
Useful Video: Beginners Guide: How to take better outdoor senior photos